Sunday, October 24, 2010


Black Sunflowers

I slurp your tombstone,
page 81, the buttery paper
slides like the homerun
of Derek Jeter, on September 25th
1999, coaxed by the Mariners.
I find it (545-2690)
Scotch taped to your forehead;
Peel your filaments,
hang them on the wall,
next to the Eiffel Tower
road map that we
punctuate three years
later with garden shears,
while Enrique Iglesias
sings. But he can’t.
And you can’t. Our breath
is the stack of dusty
Atlantic Monthlies on Grandma
Ruth’s grave, we can’t
bring her back to life either.

I had licked your number
to important
places years ago: bumper
stickered to my hand, under
the easy button, scribbled
on the vegetable drawer, inscribed
in the Chicago Times
obituaries. But chanting
numerals ate my memories;
they are road kill
on Route 67. Now these mangled
remnants reclaim
their spot on my mantle,
where I sit by the fire
and count seven
numbers. They blur
with taunting scintillas.
They are afire, as the world
spirals two towers.
They regurgitate black sunflowers
on my lap and the smell of
meadows infects the
phonebook, making you
seem beautiful.
But you’re not. And we’re not.
To me you are a
            number.         


No comments:

Post a Comment