Monday, November 1, 2010


burnish the petal & stare sharply
toward the bookstacks,
leaking slowly into a spiderweb on the floor.

you always
languish starry clothespins for me,
but I wish for you instead.

we both scream slowly,
pronouncing each swollen letter.
            these letters swirl inside us and we
            clone oysters in the park,
            which hold the pearled argument
            in their crackled hands.
we display this on the bookstack
and I wish for you again. but
you are role playing your iguana
with sweetened scales.

please,                      
    steal a juxtaposition.
                                               
please,                                  
    spool pigeons in a basket on my lap.

                                                                        the top hat glances in my direction.
            india,                                     
            croquet my whisper.

our motif is a soccer coach.
he fringes brandy glasses
with pacific spoons,

but he cannot spark me,

as I chat with a quiche
over threaded shackles.

my flower spinners
are on a pottery wheel, easing
graphite towards my hand,
as I explode nail polish
on your coffee table.

the spider crawls through the inky puddle,
carving your name in a bottle.
                                                                        I am a purple stereotype
                                                             breathing Artemis,
surely enough to ignite
the parlor’s breath,
and yours,
            of course,
is the coldest of them all.

I breathe grimy
clothespins that cling
to my shoulder, while
                                                you hand-craft the moon.
please,
      flock my voices.
                                                        no.
                                        I would rather you not
                                                breathe for me.
                                                                                                            please starlight,

                                                                                                                        spoon toward me.
                                                                                                                            



1 comment:

  1. AHHH karissa!! i love this revision. you transformed this into so much better than before, which i didn't think could be done. because it was good at first. but i love it now.

    my only suggestions: I would change 'towards' to 'toward.' And in the line that just says "as I," maybe keep it by itself but line it up with the rest of the stanza? i don't know, it just kind of threw me off when i saw it in the middle there.

    <3 <3!

    ReplyDelete